Sunday, October 23, 2005

Locked Out, Always Saved

We went camping this weekend and had a blast - even though not many people came. I think maybe I shouldn't have taught Paisley to speak because she barked more than I would have liked, but it wasn't too bad.

Well, when it was time to go to bed, I went to my car to get my toiletries and lock the car. Well, this is my second Volkswagen, and I found out with the first one that the only way to lock my keys in the car is to have the car alarm already set and to leave the keys in the trunk. Since I knew this, I didn't think I would ever do it again, but I guessed wrong - I locked my keys in my car at Joe Pool Lake.

At first, I thought I would just call Melanie in the morning (since it was already 1:45am) and she could run by my house and get a spare key - but then I realized that all the keys to my car were in the car! Funny how just earlier this week I had 2 thoughts: First, "I need to give Melanie one of my keys incase something ever happens." and Second, "I need to get a key made and hide it on my car (it will only unlock it - not start it)." But did I actually do either of these things? Nope, of course not. I guess I didn't act on it because I thought I would have more time.

Well, In the morning, AAA came out and tried to unlock my car. It isn't something I like to watch because you can't just use a jimmy and unlock it. The guy uses these whoopie-cusion like things that he places between the door and the car and you pump them up and it cracks open the door so a long pole can reach in to try to unlock the car by pushing the unlock button. But, apparently, when you use the remote to lock the car (as I had done), it shuts off all the electronics in the car - included the electric locks - and the trunk release. We were at our wits end. Nothing was working! And then I asked, "did you try just pulling the door handle and seeing if it unlocks?" I know it sounded simple, but it is usually the simple things we forget, and with all the anti-theft features my car apparently has, you wouldnt think the handle would work... but strangely it did! (Guess I shouldnt really post the solution lest my car be stolen!)

I gave you this long story because I thought it was important to know the background as well as all the details of the event - and of course, I am going to relate this to Christ since our whole life is about Him anyways.

I think first about how I locked my keys in my car and how it was just a mindless act that had big consequences. That is much like the "little" sins in our life... like not reading our Bible daily, not praying, not going to Church or other Christian fellowships (not that there are really little sins and big sins - all sins are alike in the eyes of the Lord). Missing it once or twice doesnt seem so bad, but it eventually adds up and catches up with you. And how we put all our resources into the sin (like all my keys in the car) and it creates other obstacles down the road as well. And then we call on all sorts of people and things to save us from the sin and it's consequences. We try all sorts of acts to make up for what we have done or get us out of the pit we created, but of course, nothing works. And then, finally, the last thing we try is the most simple, and of course, the one that we should have gone to in the first place - God. He is the only one that can save us and He is the one that we should always go to FIRST.

Psalm 55:16 But I call to God, and the LORD saves me.

No comments:

Post a Comment