Tuesday, October 18, 2005

God's Logic


For the last few weeks I have been very frustrated with my job. Don't get me wrong, I love it. I love working for Brinks and wouldn't have any reason to leave. But my workload has been extremely slow (just ask Sara - as I IM her all day - and she claims I blog all day to!). I think the fact that I have time on my hands at work is frustrating for several reasons. First, it makes the day go by so slow! There is only so much you can find to do and only so many websites you can go to. =) Second, I don't want to make a complaint out of it, but I think I work better under pressure (thanks mom) and when I have nothing to do but a few small jobs, I find it hard to focus completely on them and do my best... Which frustrates me that I don't glorify God in the work I do. Which is no excuse - I should always do my best.

Anyway, I have thought about blogging my frustrations for a while, but just haven't. Mainly because I feel more like I am making excuses and complaining, and I don't want to do that. I am very grateful for my job. I just wish it were more challenging at times. My boss is great and keeps telling me, "don't worry Emily, you're work will increase". It is supposed to increase as we rollout a new program for our Branches to use, but I have not seen an increase with any of the rollout phases thus far.

Which brings me to God's logic. I have been thinking about talking to my boss about it, but just haven't. Don't know why... Just haven't. Well, I had a meeting today with some people (Rachael and I still aren't sure where they are from. I don't think they work for Brinks, but they have Brinks email addresses). Anywho, as we were discussing all the programs that Brinks uses to process all the different product lines that we offer, things started to make sense... and confuse me at the same time. Thankfully they confused Rachael a little too, so we talked to Cindy afterward. Cindy is the manager of the new computer application support team (the application that is supposed to bring me more work). She explained all the rollouts and I now see how I am going to have more work! And I can see that when my boss said I will have a team that I lead to support this new system (well, support one aspect of it), I can now see how that is possible! And, I even got a time line out of the discussion. Supposedly, all parts of this new system should be integrated by next October... so I guess I'll have a team by then! And phase 1 is almost complete which means phase 2 can start which will bring me more work!

So, isn't it interesting how God aligns events in your life that answers prayers (I asked God about it, but I didn't ask my Boss about it.... Well, technically, I guess God is my Boss!). I would have never guessed the billing meeting today would have answered so many questions and eased frustrations of my job. Now I just have to look forward to having work to do.

Well, it is almost 5. I better wrap this up so I can go home =)

1 comment:

  1. Emily thanks for sharing. I'm feeling frustrated with my job too. Kind of the other way around though. I have a lot of work that needs to be accomplished every month but my knowledge of the job has not increased which makes it very frustrating. But I'm learning a little more everytime Bev is around to help me so now I'm feeling more confident about her leaving in Dec.

    And you do seem to IM me a lot while you are at work. ;)

    ReplyDelete