It's Sunday and I went to church this morning. I really enjoy Sunday School (or Bible Study I think they call it) but the sermons have never been my favorite (but that topic is for another blog). PPBC does topical studies for the sermons, and it seems to be the same every year - one month is missions month, one month is about stewardship, and so on. This month is about stewardship.
Today's sermon was about "How do we give to God" - and we talked about the tithe. My church is pretty adamant about whatever you give, it should be the first 10th to the Lord. - and don't get me wrong, I have nothing wrong with that. But I think as long as you are a cheerful giver, God will be happy with whatever you give. And, whatever you give is between you and the Lord. (2 Corinthians 9:6-7 Remember this: Whoever sows sparingly will also reap sparingly, and whoever sows generously will also reap generously. Each man should give what he has decided in his heart to give, not reluctantly or under compulsion, for God loves a cheerful giver.)
But I was thinking, what if I gave a tithe, not only from what they Lord had provided financially in my life, but also of my time. So, there are 24 hours in a day, to give 10% of thatwould be 2.4 hours. Wow! 2.4 hours every day!! Sometimes I have trouble sitting down for 30 minutes to read God's word - even still, to sit down at all!!
So I think we shouldn't focus just on what we put in the offering plate, but all other aspects of life that God provides for us. Have we given back faithfully in those areas?
I agree with being a cheerful giver too. I also agree with "how much time do we give to God?" Wow, 2.4 hours that's a lot and you're a math nerd! j/k love you!
ReplyDeleteThanks for the post; it's a good reminder of HOW we give to God.