Wednesday, November 08, 2006

On the Horizon... Change?

Last Friday we had our (what is supposed to be weekly - or at least monthly) Supervisors meeting at work. First we go through the agenda and talk about all the business stuff that needs to be talked about then our manager goes around the table and talks to the supervisors individually. She asks how things are going, are there any problems, and good news, anything we need, etc... and it does get chit-chatty sometimes. Everyone is still in there at this point, so you get to hear how everyone else on our team is doing and how thier teams are doing.


A while back, I blogged about my job and it's workload. And for the most part, I am really busy the first two weeks of the month, the third week slows down and the fourth week is a dead drag. Yes, there are times when I start to surf (ok, a lot) but I always ask for things to do first... and I usually dont get any results. So, at the meeting last friday, first I asked how one of my projects turned out since I hadnt heard any reports good or bad - I usually hear the bad, so I figured no news was good news. But even so, I like to follow up and make sure everything is working out well. (It's good news by the way) Then I talked about my workload and how it tapers off to nothing as the month goes by. During the meeting some projects were talked about that I could do - so that was good news. She did say that when I ask for stuff to do, it is hard to think of anything, but when you get away from the daily drama (I mean activities) then it is easier to see what projects I could take on. So when the end of the current reporting I am doing comes, I will have some new projects to work on.


Well, today, partly because of some team complaining (about another team, not ours) and deductive reasoning, oh and a little guts, I asked my boss why I do some of the daily reports I do. I didnt think that they were in align with my original job description (from 2 years ago) and there is actually a team in place (the one there is complaining about) to do the reporting, so why am I doing it? Not that I am complaining (though I did do that a lot today due to a few kinks in a new project) - but really I am just curious. And if I am supposed to do what I do, then that is fine, again - just wondering. In reality, it is as if I am working for one team and manager half the time and another team and manager the other.


She thought it was a good point and fired off a meeting request with her boss, her, and me! So tomorrow, the hatchet comes down on my job description and the other team (who I am doing the work for). So be praying for my nerves tomorrow at 11 as I am in this meeting!! I'll give you an update (but I wont have time to do it at work, so check back tomorrow evening).

2 comments:

  1. Well, the function should be off my plate by Monday, but that hasnt been communicated to the new team yet - or based on thier disposition, I dont think it has.

    It was also said that it is invisioned that I just create the reports - other people run them - so we'll see what happens with that. I know billing is going away in the spring (so they say) but I dont know about SLAs... we'll see. I dont mind running them.

    Also - praise that my extra day and a half vacation for this year was approved to be rolled over to next year since I cant take vacation the first week of the year.

    ReplyDelete
  2. hey, happy things worked out. I know that that slow week at then end of the month is hard for you so I'm glad there will be other projects for you to complete. Hope it's not too much extra stress.

    ReplyDelete