Monday, January 30, 2006

What Relationship?

Of course God - omniscient God - knows our most inner thoughts, emotions and desires. He knows the Godly thoughts and desires as well as the sinful. He is most concerned with what is going on in our heads and hearts because we are most truly what we think and feel.

In Romans 15:5-6, God calls us, as Christians, to be of the same mind with one another - in one accord (no Dad, not a Honda) and to glorify Him with one voice. One way that we do that is through prayer. The thing is - how many of us honestly pray continually? Sure, we pray on Sunday - at Church, in Prayer Meetings - but how much do you pray yourself? How often do you talk to God with an honest and open heart? Sure, I pray - but my prayer life is seriously lacking! How can I have a relationship with someone if I don't tell them how I feel, what I want and need, what I am thinking? Sure, God can just know that stuff, but it doesn't make for that great of a relationship.

Now, in Genesis 18:16-33, Abraham and God are talking through prayer. Abraham is laying out his feelings of concern over Sodom and it's people. Abraham is sure there are some believers there - if not just his family. He expresses his deep concern by asking God, the what if's - what if there are 50 righteous people, will you spare the city? What about 45? 40? 30? 20? 10? Every time the Lord said "If there are (that many) people there, I will spare the city". But here is my favorite part - Abraham stops at 10 - why didn't he go on down to one? I mean, if you are so concerned and in the pattern of asking, you might as well right? The thing is that Abraham was so in tune with God and their relationship that he allowed God to lead him - even in his prayers. Abraham knew when it was time to stop because God said it was time to stop - and God left, so what better time to stop than that!

So my first offense is that I don't pray near as often enough. And my second offense is that when I do pray, I don't allow the Lord to lead me in prayer - I just get in and get the job done. Ask what needs to be asked for, praise Him for the blessings that have been given - then I am on my way. I challenge myself not only to pray more often and be in a continuous state of prayer, but to let the Lord lead me in my prayer. Allow my prayer to be on His timetable, not mine. Then, think of the relationship we would have then!! I cant wait! And I challenge you as well.

Time to go pray now!

3 comments:

  1. great job my friend

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey thanks, my Bank of America friend! Glad to see you enjoy what you read.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Josh - glad to know it's you!

    ReplyDelete