Well, this post is brought on because I have encountered the same lesson 3 times in the recent past, so I thought it was necessary to post.
First, in studying Genesis 20-22, I was reminded (not that I really needed reminding) that the sin nature is always with us - even when we become Christians. The problem is that out new self - the Holy Spirit in us - is at constant battle with this sin nature. You have to willingly renouce the sin nature and live in Christ. Self-reliance will only lead to more sin. Now, we all have the particular sins we struggle with, and one that is at the top of my list is lack of obedience in faithfully taking up my cross. It is easy to go to Church or Bible Study, hear God's message - maybe He really even speaks to your heart - get pumped up with great intentions to be on fire for God - or even to just commit to being in the Word everyday. Then what happens? I come home, am distracted by life, and forget the passion I had for Christ earlier. Then I start to become merely hopeful that I will have that passion someday everyday.
I have a few blogs that I checkout almost daily. I don't really know these people, but I enjoy reading what they write and seeing what the Lord is doing in their lives. Just today, I read Holly's blog to see a wonderful, inspiring post. She reinforced the thought of how we love the concept of pursuing Christ, but don't really act on it. She then talks about how we need to identify our goals (pursuing Christ) and then identify, examine, and eliminate our distractions. Boy, I think my distraction list might be a bit long (but I suppose, so is yours). I think she said it best when she asked what distractions in my life do I deem more worthy than Christ. Ouch. Just the word worthy really makes it sting. Why would I? How could I? It makes me so ashamed to think that my actions reveal that I place watching my favorite shows, hanging out with friends, working out, even a blog here and there as being more worthy that spending time with Christ. I am guilty!
This week, I am really going to take that challenge to identify my distractions and eliminate them. I don't want to just think about a concept - I want to live for Christ. I want to act on the concept and take up my cross - DAILY!
Lord, thank you for revealing this lesson to me repeatedly lately. I hear what you are telling me and I want to put it into action. Thing is, I need your help. This battle with my sin nature is a tough one - but I want my new self to win. Lord, you have already claimed victory. Help me put my trust and faith in that - and show that faith in obedience. I love you Lord, and I want to hang out with you EVERY day. You bring such joy and refreshment. Why would I want to miss out on that?
hey there keep writing when you get a chance and you know what i hate about life is being lonely everyday
ReplyDelete