Friday, January 13, 2006

New Orleans

Well, I went to New Orleans for work this week and the lady that went with me is from New Orleans - recently moved to Dallas due to the Hurricane. So she took me around the city to see the damage. I don't know all the neighborhoods we saw, but I have attached pictures here for the lower 9th Ward - the hardest hit area.

One neighborhood was like the rapture happened and I had been left behind! *though I know that wouldn't happen! :) The houses were just flooded (no water remained anymore) and cars were scattered everywhere. Some cars had doors and trunks flung wide open and there wasn't a soul around. There was a white dusty film on everything from where the water had been. It was very eerie.

On the last day there, we went to the Lower 9th Ward. This is the worst hit area in New Orleans. There is a picture of the barge that got out of the canal and hit the levee that broke and flooded the neighborhood. It looked like the people/the city had just started bulldozing everything - but they haven't - that is what the water did!! It was strange because the water completely destroyed some homes, moved others on top of the next door house, or landed them on top of cars, or in the middle of the street - and then there would be one house on the block that wasn't destroyed so much as just flooded. The water in this area would have been between 15-20 feet deep. Can you imagine if you didn't evacuate and your house started moving!!

No comments:

Post a Comment