Tuesday, January 24, 2006

Laugh like Sarah and Return to Sodom

Remember the Story: God had made a covenant with Abraham that he was to have a child with Sarah. When Sarah overheard this, she laughed and thought "Is he kidding! Not only is that ridiculous, it is impossible!" (Emily's version) Immediately God asked Abraham why Sarah had laughed. And when confronted, Sarah lied and said "Me? I didn't laugh." God gave that stern look you get from your parents when you lie and said "Yes Sarah, you did". Click Here for God's Version

Remember the story: Lot and Abraham roamed around the earth together until one day Lots people were fighting with Abraham's people. So they went their separate ways and Lot chose the glamour of the green pastures and big city (Sodom). Later, some kings were fighting and Lot was captured. Abraham bailed him out. Instead of hanging out with Abraham, he returned to the flashy city of Sodom - which got him into trouble in the first place. Then, he became so engrossed in the city that he even became the Mayor (or something like it - technically it says he sat at the gate, which doesn't mean he was just a gate keeper, but had authority). Unfortunately, Lot could not influence the corrupt city with his good upbringing. Since disobedience brings discipline, God sent Angels to get Lot out of the city then blew the city up - covering it with salt. God told Lot to take refuge in the mountains (from which he came from - with Abraham), but instead, Lot pleaded to go to another little town and eventually went to another mountain range (which just brought about more sin and disobedience) Click Here for God's Version

Ashamed to say, but how many times I laugh at God when I am reminded He is almighty. That I can cast my cares on Him, that he can lead me from temptation, and break my sinful habits. But instead, I laugh like Sarah in disbelief and return to Sodom like Lot. I keep going back to the same things. And if I do see the escape route he gives me, how many times do I take it? He wants me to go back to the last place I was instep with Him, but instead I try my own route like Lot - but find it just leads to other sin and takes me further from God.

Lord, I know you are Almighty! You tell me you can set me free. Call me out, Lord, when I laugh at you. Embarrass me, bring me to my knees. Break me Lord, from my disbelief and my cyclical pattern of sin. Nothing is too great for you - help me see the truth in that. Before I go too far Lord, show me YOUR path, not my own, that will return me to intimacy with You Lord. How I desire intimacy with You.

1 comment:

  1. Wow Emily, that was a very personal post and prayer! Thanks for sharing. I had never thought of applying those two stories to our walk with God. We often think of Lot's wife turning to salt, but I had forgotten about the many ways that God gave Lot to escape Sodom. This post was a great encouragment to me! Love!

    ReplyDelete