Wednesday, September 10, 2008

Hiding His Word in My Heart

At our book discussion last night, we got on a rabbit trail about memorizing verses (which we need to do more of) and how easy it is to remember the verses from when we were young that are sung to music - some to well known tunes like 'Row Your Boat' and others to thier own tunes. I mentioned a CD, Glory Revealed, that I love that is all and only scripture. It also has a book that I want to read as well. While I love this CD, the only thing I dont like about it is that the scripture reference is not in the song.
So, last night as I did my BSF lesson, I decided I am going to work more on hiding His word in my heart. There are three verses I am starting with. As I was committing them to memory last night, I was speaking them aloud (I also read the verses from my BSF lesson aloud, and I think I pay more attention to the words - rather than just skimming through). As I was reading aloud, my mind automatically made my voice give great inflection to the words - a passion. I like to think that it is how God speaks them to my heart - and it has really helped in memorizing because it isnt a task so much as hearing my God speak them directly to me. I also filled my name in the verses, as to make them my own - promises from the Father to me. How sweet my Lord is.
  • Joshua 1:5 - [Sweet Emily,] No one can stand against you all the days of your life. As I was with Moses, so I will be with you. I will never leave you nor forsake you.
  • Joshua 1:9 - [Emily,] Have I not commanded you? Be strong and couragous! Do not be terrified. Do not be discouraged. For the Lord your God will be with you wherever you may go. (already committed to memory through song)
  • Jeremiah 29:11-13 - "For I know the plans I have for you, [my sweet Emily]", declares the Lord, "plans to prosper you, not to harm you. Plans to give you hope and a future. Then you will call upon me and come and pray to me, and I will listen to you! You will seek me and you will find me, when you seek me with all your heart."
So I encourage you to find some special way to memorize scripture. What methods do you have? I wish I were more musically inclined to make up songs for them all. Do you remember any songs from your Psalty days? What verses are you working on now?

No comments:

Post a Comment