Well the race is over - and what an adventure! John and I left the house at 6:15 Sunday Morning to get the Dallas Fair Park by 6:45am for the 7:30am start time. For some reason I-30 always has traffic around the Fair Park area - and on this morning, there was a wreck so we sat at almost at our exit for an hour! The really dedicated runners got out of their cars (someone else was driving) and ran the 2 miles to Fair Park to get there in time - just a warm-up right? John and I stayed in the car.
When we finally arrived at Fair Park, the race had already started and we couldn't find any race officials anywhere (poor planning if you ask me.) Also - we only saw one starting line (unmarked) and no one else knew any better than us - so we headed out on the trail. It wasn't until we got to the 5K mark did we think it was and even more poorly planned race - because we were no where near Fair Park. Not only could our time be recorded because there was no 5K "Finish Line" but - you either have to backtrack (and do another 5k?) or go forward and finish a Half Marathon. Well, John and I were so thankful to the Lord for a great day - so we decided to go forward... how hard could it be if we just walked it? Let me tell you - 13 MILES hurts more than I expected!!!
Everyone was so nice at each of the rest-stops and only a few noticed our Blue 5K race bibs. But everyone was so cheerful and supportive. John and I had such a great time power walking together, enjoying the day, and seeing parts of Dallas we hadn't seen before. We went from Fair Park to White Rock Lake - through some beautiful neighborhoods (and some not so great) and back to Fair Park.
It wasn't until we got to the finish line that we were really embarrassed for the trek we took. About three and a half hours after we started - we walked across the finish line - with everyone cheering - and an announcer saying "way to go 5K-ers" - (because we had on the 5K bibs). NO! It didn't take us 3.5 hours for 5K!! We did the half marathon!! We did the 5K - four times over! That was quite embarrassing - but no one knew us... I don't think! Oh well. We know what we accomplished - and our bodies will probably remind us for the next week!
I don't think I have ever appreciated a shower, Sports-Creme (or Ben-Gay), and talcum powder more than I do right now! Again, we had a great time and look forward to running some more races in the future - after some more training and making sure we are on the right trail! Once I upload the race picture we took and see if there were any from the official race photographers - I will forward them to you. Of course, John posed for one of the photographers - so hopefully we can get that one!
Thanks to all of you that have supported us with prayer and donations. Remember if you haven't made a donation and would like to, you may still make a donation by June 3rd.
No comments:
Post a Comment