Wednesday, April 19, 2006

Suffering

suf·fer
v. suf·fered, suf·fer·ing, suf·fers
v. intr.
To feel pain or distress; sustain loss, injury, harm, or punishment.
To tolerate or endure evil, injury, pain, or death.
To appear at a disadvantage: He suffers by comparison with his greater contemporary (Albert C. Baugh).

There are 2 reasons for suffering in this world. First, is the suffering that everyone endures - just because we are alive. Second, is the unjust suffering endured by Christians.

Romans 8:17-27 tells us that if we are children of God, we share in the sufferings of Christ and that these suffering are nothing compared to the glory revealed in us.
Romans 5 tells us that we count our sufferings as joy.
1 Corinthians 1:3-11 tells us that the Lord comforts us in our suffering through our salvation.
Ephesians 3:7-21 tells us to not be discouraged by our sufferings but to approach God with freedom and confidence and make our plea to Him - for He is able to do more than we could ever imagine.
2 Timothy 1 and 1 Peter 4:12-14 encourage us to embrace and welcome suffering - for it is for the glory of the Lord.
1 Peter 5:8-10 tells us we are not alone in our sufferings.

All of this is good, but how can I embrace and take joy (which is hard in itself) when I cant recognize suffering itself? Some examples that were given to me were working for an unjust boss or persecution of being a Christian or maybe being unemployed and searching for a job. But what else? I know there is more. don'tst dont feel as though I am suffering - ever. Maybe I am, maybe I do embrace it and take joy in it - maybe I see it as light and momentary troubles and so I continue to press on for for goal. ????

Tell me about your sufferings. What are they? How do you react to them?

When the Lord calls a person to a job, He first tempers their character for the job He has called them to - then places them in the position with the tools they need. Think of suffering as the tempering process - He's just preparing you for His work.

No comments:

Post a Comment