Harry Potter – he causes such controversy – in real life and in the books. But, since I live in the real world, I will think more about that. I have read all the books, watched all the movies, and am going to the midnight showing of The Goblet of Fire tonight (or actually tomorrow morning – but whatever). Now, the controversy here is this: Is Harry Potter evil, of the devil, a sin? Most people refer to Galatians 5:19-21 to say that we should not have anything to do with Harry Potter. Lets see what Galatians says:
NIV: 19The acts of the sinful nature are obvious: sexual immorality, impurity and debauchery; 20idolatry and witchcraft; hatred, discord, jealousy, fits of rage, selfish ambition, dissensions, factions 21and envy; drunkenness, orgies, and the like. I warn you, as I did before, that those who live like this will not inherit the kingdom of God.
NAS: Now the deeds of the flesh are evident, which are: immorality, impurity, sensuality, 20idolatry, sorcery, enmities, strife, jealousy, outbursts of anger, disputes, dissensions, factions, 21envying, drunkenness, carousing, and things like these, of which I forewarn you, just as I have forewarned you, that those who practice such things will not inherit the kingdom of God.
The Message: It is obvious what kind of life develops out of trying to get your own way all the time: repetitive, loveless, cheap sex; a stinking accumulation of mental and emotional garbage; frenzied and joyless grabs for happiness; 20trinket gods; magic-show religion; paranoid loneliness; cutthroat competition; all-consuming-yet-never-satisfied wants; a brutal temper; an impotence to love or be loved; divided homes and divided lives; small-minded and lopsided pursuits; 21the vicious habit of depersonalizing everyone into a rival; uncontrolled and uncontrollable addictions; ugly parodies of community. I could go on.
NLT: 19When you follow the desires of your sinful nature, your lives will produce these evil results: sexual immorality, impure thoughts, eagerness for lustful pleasure, 20idolatry, participation in demonic activities, hostility, quarreling, jealousy, outbursts of anger, selfish ambition, divisions, the feeling that everyone is wrong except those in your own little group, 21envy, drunkenness, wild parties, and other kinds of sin. Let me tell you again, as I have before, that anyone living that sort of life will not inherit the Kingdom of God.
So, looking at the different translations – I would say that practicing, putting your trust in, or worshipping witchcraft/sorcery would be a sin. But reading about it in a fiction book? How about reading about it in a non-fiction book – not wanting to learn how to practice, but maybe you are witnessing to a friend and they are involved in it. Should you know about their religion of magic so as to be able to aid them in understanding the gospel? I mean, we read about other religions like Mormonism, Buddhism, and other eastern religions.
Personally, I think it is all a matter of the heart. I am a Christian and I am going to Heaven. I trust in the God as my Savior and allow Him to be the lord of my life. Does that mean I don’t sin? No! I have a sin nature – we all do – we are born with it! I don’t think my reading Harry Potter or watching the movies makes me less of a Christian – I don’t put my trust in it – it is mere entertainment. Is all entertainment good? Certainly not! But I think on some issues it is a personal decision of what is good and what is not – some things make people stumble and others not.
I don’t know if there is a black and white decision on Harry Potter. There are many grey (or is it spelled gray? Never could figure that out) areas in our lives and I think that this is one of them. Certainly if you believe everything you see in Harry Potter and begin to try to do the things practiced in the movie, or trust in it – that would be a sin.
Emily, very interesting comments. I definatly agree that Christians should make up their own minds about HP. Now if all started running around and saying the little spells that Harry and friends use then that would be sin and just plain silly.
ReplyDeleteoops, "Now if WE all started..."
ReplyDeleteOf course, I just love that you searched the Scripture to form an opinion! Did you notice the Scripture before & after the verses you gave in Galatians? Verses 16-18 talk about walking in the Spirit as opposed to walking in the flesh. Verses 22-26 describe to us what a person is like that walks in the Spirit.
ReplyDeleteIronically, secular television reminds us that the mind is a terrible thing to waste. In our times we are not very selective about what we put into our minds or before our eyes.
Paul admonishes us in Romans 12:2 "Do not conform any longer to the pattern of this world (the flesh)but be transformed by the renewing of your mind. THEN you will be able to test & approve what God's will is - His good, pleasing & perfect will."
We yoke ourselves together with many things through our minds. Paul tells us in 2 Corinthians 6:14-18 that we should be very careful about what we fellowship with, reminding us that we are the temple of the living God. Maybe we should ask ourselves if this is something that God desires we bring into HIS temple!