Monday, August 24, 2009

30 Min Project - Jewelry Frames

I am not sure where I saw this idea. I am pretty sure I didn't come up with it on my own, but I have way too many necklaces and my jewelry tree couldn't hold them all. So, I decided to make some Jewelry Frames to hang them as well as add some much needed decoration to my master bath.

I bought 2 frames on clearance at JoAnn's (I later found out why they were on clearance... one is a half inch bigger than the other - but you cant beat clearance!). I proceeded to Lowes to buy some hardware cloth (which only came in 10 feet rolls, but it will come in handy when I cover my fireplace after the bats leave), and a couple of boxes of S hooks. Tools I used include a staple gun and industrial/kitchen scissors or wire cutters (both worked).


I didnt cut the fabric cloth exactly to size on the first one, but I did on the second. Either way works fine. Just use the staple gun to fasten the cloth to the frame and trim any excess if needed. I stapled it directly to the back, but it would also be good to staple it to the inset of the frame (where the glass would sit) so that there is a little more space between the wall and the S hooks. However, since my hardware cloth is flush with the wall, it does support the S hooks -- so either way you want to go should be fine.


Then hang on the wall like any other frame and load on your jewelry!


Frames from JoAnne's (on clearance) - $20
(and you could definitly get out cheaper on the frames - I just loved these becuase they were green and matched the master bath)
1/4 inch Hardware Fabric ($10 feet, but only needed 2 feet!) - $13
(either have a girls craft project weekend and all chip in for this -- or if you need it elsewhere to keep critters out of the house, etc - the cost offsets itself)
3 packs of S hooks (but only needed 2) - $0.89/each = $2.67

4 comments:

  1. Looks great!

    ~Heather from at home with H

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like it!
    You can also use the extra hardware cloth to make a salad table to grow lettuces in next summer :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks!

    I didn't even know what a salad table is - but Googled it! That sounds like a plan. I have thought about growing a vegetable garden though! Thanks for the idea!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great job! Love it! So organized.

    ReplyDelete