Sunday, January 27, 2008

Hiding My Treasure

Last week in BSF we studied Matthew 13 and in verse 52, regarding the instruction He has given me, Jesus said to bring out my new treasures as well as my old and not to keep it hidden away. He relates this message to the owner of a house and the old and new treasures stored in the cupboards. The owner is not only to draw on these treasures for personal use and need, but also is responsible for feeding others from the cupboard. In the same way, I should share the things that God has taught and instructed me with others.

It was asked of me:
  • What specific treasures has God given me this year in BSF - truths applied to my life, answers to prayer, etc?
  • How many of these treasures do I have?
  • How many old and how many new?
  • How often do I use these treasures?
  • How faithful am I as God's servant in sharing these with others as they need it?
Looking at these questions, I have realized that I haven't shared many of the lessons I have learned from BSF or church recently. I think this is either because:
  1. I am not truly learning and applying new truths to my life
  2. I have kept the truths hidden
I think maybe it is a bit of both reasons. I think I have had my eyes closed to His teaching and this is why I have not applied the lessons - and the ones I have learned, I haven't shared because, well, I am lazy?

So, I thought I would share my recent lessons. From chapter 14 of Matthew, there is the story of God feeding the 5000 and the story of Peter's little faith as he walked on water to meet Jesus. The feeding of the 5000 shows that Jesus knows the needs of the people and he can fulfill them. He tests our faith and trust in Him and his providence and teaches us that he knows our needs and is able to satisfy them with the circumstances that we are in. Even if we don't see a way out or a supply to meet our needs, God can take even the humblest beginnings and create great things.

The next thing that God reminded me of came from the story of Peter as he walked on the water to meet Jesus. He had asked Jesus to allow him to walk on the water to prove it was Jesus that had appeared on the water this stormy night. When Peter began to walk, he was distracted by the waves and weather and his gaze moved from Jesus to everything else. He began to sink into the sea. But Christ held out his hand and took Peter up from the water to safety. This is so similar to my life right now. There are a lot of changes going on that seem to be like the crashing waves. They distract me and for quite a while I have let my gaze move from Christ to other things. In doing so, I too have begun to sink. But even though I show weakness and my faith is fallible, God still loves me and has His hand stretched out to save me. It is up to me to take hold of His hand and come into His comfort and safety (not to confuse comfort and safety with having no troubles at all - The safest place is the center of God's will, but it does not come without troubles and trials to disciple us!). How am I going to take hold of His hand this week?

And lastly, looking at all that Jesus accomplished in this single day:
  • v13 - withdrew for prayer
  • v14 - healed the sick
  • travel time
  • v18-21 - fed the 5000 (can you imagine organizing that event on the fly!)
  • v22 - withdrew for prayer
  • v25 - met the disciples on the stormy waters
  • v27 - calmed their fear
  • v31 - saved Peter
  • v32 - calmed the storm
  • travel time
  • v36 - healed the sick

I can't help but notice that Jesus thought it was so important to withdraw from the people to a place of solitude and spend time with the Father in Heaven through prayer. He prayed not only for refreshment and restoration, for thanksgiving and supplication, and to be aligned with God's will for His life (he was human) - but also just for fellowship with the Father. He wanted the personal relationship with Him. My prayer life suffers!! I need to spend more time in prayer - just to know my Lord better and fellowship with Him - and to seek His will on my life.

So those are my recent treasures. I have set them out for all to enjoy and learn from. I hope I have met a need of yours and that you too would seek God in the storms of your life through prayer and fellowship with the Lord!

No comments:

Post a Comment