Those of you that know me know that I am not a person with a lot of favorites. Sure I like stuff, some I even love... but I am not partial to favoritism (though I am sure, regrettably, you could catch me in some form of favoritism with people). However, there is one thing in which I show no favoritism... and I am sure a lot of the world, or at least Americans, would agree with me in. What is it? The Process. I don't know if it just my being a generation XY (or Boomerang generation) American or human nature, but I do not like any process. Sure, when it is all said and done and I look back, it's not that bad, but it stinks when you are in it.
What process you ask? Any process. Losing weight, getting out of debt, job hunting, sanctification, life. It doesn't matter - everything has a process. Even the microwave has a process, it is just a lot shorter and more acceptable than other processes. Even God said there would be a process in Jeremiah 29:11 and Philippians 1:6. Why is the process so hard to accept and why does it have to hurt so much? I know, because it produces perseverance, which produces character, which produces hope. So where is the painful part? The perseverance? I choose perseverance because you look back and see the character that was produces and hope looks forward - so that leaves me with perseverance as the process.
If perseverance is the process, which is uncomfortable, then if I feel discouraged, tired, and weary, I must be persevering right? I sure don't feel like it! I feel like I am stuck in the mud, going no where, producing nothing. Ah-ha! I just looked up perseverance in the dictionary. It says that perseverance is the steady persistence in a course of action, a purpose, a state, etc., esp. in spite of difficulties, obstacles, or discouragement. Therefore (BSFer's will love that I used therefore!), I think I am suffering, and if I am persevering is yet to be determined. My conclusion comes from Romans 5:3 where we learn that it is suffering that produces perseverance. For what am I suffering? I don't know, I guess I can tell you that when I get to the character part of this process. But I do know that one reason is because I am co-heir with Christ to the inheritance of God! And that I share in His sufferings so that I might also share in His glory. I hope the glory comes soon - or even just a glimmer. Although, as I complain (I am sure that is what I am doing in the dissection) I know that my current suffering (or past and future sufferings) are not worth comparing to the glory that will be revealed in us. In the meantime, I return to the process.
No comments:
Post a Comment