Monday, September 18, 2006

Something New, Week 1

Sunday, September 17 was a big day for our church. There had been much talk about this division ever since I came to PPBC, and I am sure it preceded me as well (not that I had anything to do with it). It was the day they finally split the worship services into straight traditional and straight contemporary... no more blended services. For me, it was the first day to NOT go to the Singles class for Sunday School.

My decision to leave the Singles department rests on many different issues, ones which I will not discuss on this blog, but you may feel free to ask me through and email or in person. But mainly, I just needed a break, a change of pace, a refreshment - and that is what I got on Sunday.

I had talked to Pat Walker last Tuesday about visiting her class (it is one of many I planned on visiting) and while she warned it was full of 60-70 year olds, she said she would be happy for Melanie and I to come. Of course, age doesn't bother me - you can learn a lot from people that have had more life experiences than yourself, whether they are 10 years or 60 years your elder. I was excited about going.

So Sunday, because of the split of services, to visit Pat's class, Melanie and I had to go to First Service - the traditional one. This didn't bother me at all. I enjoy and appreciate the hymns and the music. I think many of the people my age and especially younger will lose and are losing the richness and great meaning of hymns. Don't get me wrong, I love contemporary music as well and it too can be very meaningful, but it can also lack something of quality as well. The service was wonderful.

So on to Pat's class... Melanie and I had to walk in late due to manning Dinner Club booths and to our dismay, the door we walked in was at the FRONT of the class; I would have rather walked in at the back. I didn't see Pat right away, and even though that is the door she told me to go in, I was afraid that we had gone to the wrong class. However, after we sat down, I had heard her voice and was rest assured we were where we needed to be. We sat at the back of the room and definitely stood out.

Pat is part of AC Winkler's department and as a department, they meet and worship the Lord in song (yes, hymns), make announcements, and then split up into classes. I enjoyed worshiping again in Sunday School. It reminded me of when I was little and would go to my grandparents' Sunday School class. I would stand on the table and help my Nanny and Granddaddy lead the class in worship. I always loved that. I can always remember singing "Sweetest Name I Know", which I still whistle and sing today with joy.
  • There's within my heart a melody/Jesus whispers sweet and low/ "Fear not, I am with you, peace be still" /In all of life's ebb and flow.
  • CHORUS Jesus, Jesus, Jesus /Sweetest name I know /Fills my ev'ry longing/ Keeps me singing as I go.
  • All my life was wrecked by sin and strife/ Discord filled my heart with pain /Jesus swept across the broken strings /Stirred the slumb'ring chords again.
  • Feasting on the riches of His grace /Resting 'neath His shelt'ring wing /Always looking on His smiling face /That is why I shout and sing.
  • Though sometimes He leads through waters deep/ Trials fall across the way /Though sometimes the path seems rough and steep /See His footprints all the way.
  • Soon He's coming back to welcome me/ Far beyond the starry sky/ I shall wing my flight to worlds unknown /I shall reign with Him on high

After singing, the announcements started and visitors were introduced. Of course, Pat was sure to introduce us and we stood up so people could see us (since we seemed to be hiding in the back). Everyone was very glad to see us in there. The announcer (sorry, I don't know his name) said that he knew that the service changes would bring new faces and that he was sure that "those young people would get in their right minds and go to the traditional service". Everyone got a kick out of that.

When we broke up into the classes, Pat was missing but a nice man saw we were lost and showed us where to go. Once in the room, the ladies were so accommodating and welcoming (to all the guests). It was nice to see they cared. One lady, Theda, was so sweet. She gave us study guides with the disclaimer that they were for people a little over our age (retirees 55+) and were in big print. She's so cute. Pat was a wonderful teacher and it was so refreshing to have something different.

So thanks to all the wonderful people in AC Winkler's Sunday School Department that made our experience so pleasant!

1 comment:

  1. I'm glad that you were able to go to a new SS class. Sometimes that just want we need, to hear wiser and sometimes older, Christians sharing the walk with us. I hope that you find a class where you feel at home but can also make an impact!

    ReplyDelete