In Sunday School this week - we continued to discuss the ways God talks to you personally and of course, prayer was discussed. And since prayer was discussed, we touched on the ACTS model of prayer. In talking about the Thanksgiving part of ACTS, we listed things that we usually thank God for. Of course, most people spoke out about the "good" things in life - and it was recognized that we usually thank God for the blessings and not usually the sufferings. Now, I don't want to boast, but I thank God very much for the sufferings - because in the end, they really are blessings. The weird thing is that I usually pray for the sufferings - especially when I feel that I am far from God or when things are just going too well in life. I guess I feel like when I am far from God, I know that suffering forces me to rely on him. It is used as a method to get back to God. And when things are going well, I think I ask for suffering to test my faith, to keep me humble, a form of checks and balances. Does anyone else encounter this in their life?
Funny thing is - when I do experience the rocky roads, it takes me a moment to remember that I asked for it. At first I think - why? - not a bad why, but a "what am I supposed to be looking for - what are you supposed to be teaching me, why has this come about?" And then it hits me - AH YES! I asked for it. And as always - the Lord strengthens my relationship with Him, my confidence in my faith, and builds more character - and I thank Him always for these hardships. I really believe that sometimes it even hard for me to see the hardships I endure because I don't always think of them as hardships as I encounter them, and when they pass - all I see is blessing.
I just want to thank you, Father, for using your refiner's fire in my life. I am so grateful that you continue to work on me and on my relationship with You.
I know what you mean. It seems as if the hardest times in my life has been those where God's presence has been most reassuring. I love those times where God's presence is so close, and it's ususally when I'm in a rough time. So in a way I'm thankful too for suffering because I experience more of God.
ReplyDeletegreat job as always miss emily
ReplyDelete