Since I am giving my testimony in Sunday School next week, I had to write it out and figured I would post it here - so here is my testimony:
I was raised in a Christian home and accepted Christ as my savior at a very young age. That story doesn't make for a very exciting testimony. It wasn't until I got into high school that - even though I had accepted Christ as my savior, it was obvious I wasn't letting him be Lord of my life. I don't know why I ran from God - perhaps I didn't feel like I "fit in" with that crowd, but I began to follow the road of sex, lies, and drugs and made myself fit in there. I wont say I was always happy there. I always heard God calling me back to Him, and there were times I wanted out of my lifestyle, but I didn't know how to crawl up from those depths.
When I graduated High School I chose to attend a college where I didn't know anyone hoping to turn my life back to God. My first year was great. I was out of that lifestyle and was in church. I know that I felt God in my life at times, but I am not able to recall any dramatic revelations. My second and third year there were not as great - I fell right back into the life of habitual sin. Again, I always heard God's call in my life, and I would try to satisfy it with some Sundays in a pew - but I never "let go and let God."
It wasn't until my last semester that I really was drawn to God's call. I went to church because I wanted to be there... Not to quiet the Lord, but to enlarge Him in my life. I really wanted what God wanted for me. After graduating that summer, I moved to Arlington and became friends with Melanie through a mutual friend. For a year, I searched for the church where God wanted me - and He brought me to PPBC where He has blessed me with a great support system. I am not perfect now, but the Lord has changed my desires - from a lifestyle of habitual sin - to a life in pursuit of Him. It's not easy and I trip up a lot - but God has proven faithful to forgive and get me back on my feet. I am truly blessed to see that God can change my life and look forward to the changes He plans to make in the future.
Below is a song by Phillps Craig and Dean that is very special to me. I feel as though it tells my story - the story of the prodigal son who spends His inheritance on the World, but then realizes what really matters and returns to his Father - his loving and forgiving Father.
CLICK HERE TO LISTEN TO SONG
Almighty God, the great I am,
Immovable rock, omnipotent, powerful,
awesome Lord, Victorious warrior,
commanding King of Kings, Mighty conqueror
-and the only time I ever saw Him run was when He ran to me,
He took me in His arms, Held my head to His chest, said "My son's come home again!"
Lifted my face, wiped the tears from my eyes,
With forgiveness in His voice He said, "Son do you know I still love you?"
He caught me by surprise when God ran.
The day I left home, I knew I'd broken His heart.
And I wondered then if things could ever be the same.
Then one night I remembered His love for me.
And down that dusty road ahead I could see- It was the only time I ever saw Him run
And then He ran to me, He took me in His arms
Held my head to His chest, said "My son's come home again"
Lifted my face, wiped the tears from my eyes
With forgiveness in His voice He said, "Son do you know I still love you?"
He caught me by surprise as He brought me to my knees When God ran - I saw Him run to me
I was so ashamed, all alone and so far away.
But now I know, He's been waiting for this day.
I saw Him run to me, He took me in His arms
Held my head to His chest, said "My son's come home again"
Lifted my face, wiped the tears from my eyes
With forgiveness in His voice I felt His love for me again
that was great just remember to not be afraid when you tell it and try not to cry because i might to
ReplyDeleteI like the song! And I thank you because you posted the lyrics and the title. Ya God is good all the time!
ReplyDelete